Our Graphic Design Team can take your artwork label or graphic overlay from a thought to a finished product. However, most companies supply their own art to us. If you are uncertain about the type of artwork requirements, please give us a call and we can help you. Our preferences for artwork specifications appear below.
Please contact us about a password to move your art from your computer to ours via FTP.
Small files can be upload on our Request For Quote Form.
Electronic File Specifications
Receiving files from our customers in mutually understood formats is important for timely workflow and the best quality product. The information below provides guidelines on how to supply files to us.
VECTOR ARTWORK – ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR® (.ai) (preferred)
This program is a vector based drawing application used for creating “line art.” Files like these are resolution independent and can be printed at any resolution the output device is capable of, maintaining crisp clean lines to film, plates, and press, making them the ideal choice for your projects. Give us the artwork in its native file format and provide all linked images. Always include font files or turn fonts into outlines.
RASTER IMAGE EDITING – ADOBE PHOTOSHOP® (.psd) (Used for Digital Printing and 4-Color Process)
Photograph type images that cannot be drawn with vector drawing programs are done with this type of software and will usually be printed as a halftone, duo-tone, or 4-color process. These types of images are resolution dependent and can appear jagged and lose detail if enlarged or printed at a higher resolution. Create this image type at a minimum of 350-400 dpi or higher and provide the native file format at actual size or larger. Include all layers and font files if type is not converted. Remember to provide a 1/8’ bleed all around. Photoshop® files are treated on an individual basis. If you are concerned about file usability, please submit it and we’d be happy to evaluate it.
ADOBE INDESIGN® (.indd)
This program is a desktop publishing software used for page layout. Be advised, files created in InDesign® will be converted to .pdf and re-read into Illustrator®. Please include all font files or create outlines. Always provide the artwork in its native file format and include all linked images.
PORTABLE DOCUMENT FORMAT – (.pdf)
This is a versatile format that can be distributed and viewed by many users with Acrobat Reader. Its usability for artwork depends on the application used to create the file. Generic .pdf files not originally created in Adobe Illustrator® are treated on a case by case basis.
WORD PROCESSING / MICROSOFT OFFICE – (.doc, .xls, & .ppt)
Word documents can be used as a reference to layout, color breaks, and the general appearance of the label only. These types of files cannot be used as artwork. Please make every effort to provide your artwork in the formats described above.
RASTER IMAGE FILES – (.tif, .jpg, .png, etc.) (Used for Digital Printing and 4-Color Process)
These are rasterized image formats usually used for the web. Rasterized files have a built-in file compression that keeps file size small. Unfortunately, this makes them unsuitable for high resolution printing. Image files must be created at 350-400 dpi or higher, and at actual size or larger. These files will be evaluated individually for high resolution usability.
OTHER FORMATS – (.dwg, .dxf, .svg, .cdr, etc.)
All other file formats are treated on a case by case basis. If you have a file in this category, you may submit it and we’d be happy to evaluate it for you.
OTHER ART REQUIREMENTS
- Font issues are the most frequent interrupters of workflow.
- Be sure to include all font files or create all text to outlines.
- Text should be at least 5pts, larger if the font is condensed, and at least 6pts if reversed out.
- Reversed text may need to be bold. Reversing text out of 4-color process work is not recommended.
- Positive lines need to be a minimum of 0.5pt. Negative, or reversed, lines need to be a minimum of 0.75pt.
- Try to avoid screens that drop out to zero dot in vignettes and halftones, as they will create a HARD BREAK.
- If a white plate is required (clear material) please include it on an independent layer, overprinting all others as needed.
- When digitally printing, all pantone colors will automatically convert to CMYK. There may be a shift in color.
- PROOFING OF ARTWORK We supply a composite color proof for your approval. This proof will be exactly what we plan to print and needs to be carefully reviewed. The colors will be close approximations of the specified color, but should not be used for color matching purposes. While we make every effort to create artwork accurately and as specified, it is your responsibility to verify we have interpreted your design accurately.
Our Graphic Design Team can take your artwork label or graphic overlay from a thought to a finished product.